Ready to Lose Your Glasses? 10 pointers for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest developing fields of medication. Never before have a lot of brand-new methods and scientific breakthroughs emerged in such a short time period. LASIK surgery, which utilizes an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, uses millions of people the opportunity to reduce or eliminate their requirement for glasses or contacts .
Tv and radio ads are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgery as the pain-free and fast way to correct vision, but stories are likewise appearing about individuals for whom it was less than successful. Prior to you choose to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist guarantee that you will be happy with your results?
The essential to safe surgery in any field of medication is an educated client. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a nationwide survey by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a doctor by getting recommendations from other doctors or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Do not be deceived by expensive ads about a particular laser. Select the physician, not the laser.
3. Select a medical professional who has actually done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a doctor doesn't know can harm you.
4. Request for details on your doctor's LASIK eye surgery problem rates. Find another one if your doctor will not tell you. For leading cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask exactly what steps are taken to prevent infection. Try to find a center with a dust-free or sterile operating room. Make sure that disposable parts are not recycled. Insist that your eye is completely decontaminated, and insist that the surgical instruments be sterilized prior to your eye laser surgery to eliminate the threat of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
Beware of advertisements pushing "low expense" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount rate surgery is as good as his explanation a discount rate parachute.
Expect to see really well after LASIK, but do not anticipate to see perfectly. As with any eye laser surgery, results are as specific as each patient. Beware of any you could try this out medical professional who promises 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a difficult sell, you most likely are. You're not buying a vehicle; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
9. Implantable lenses will probably offer better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Consider waiting up until the new lenses are available. Ask your doctor about them and other recent advances.
10. While you examine, don't forget the advantages: for many people, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has improved the eyesight of millions of individuals all over the world.